Thursday, August 11, 2022

Mike Stelter, Our Hearts Go Out to You


Sometimes I am reminded that hockey is just a game. It is brutally accurate at this time of tragedy. I am confident that I can say we all loved Ben and were touched by his spirit. I loved what the Oilers did for this youngster. Whether we met him or not, we were all touched by his extraordinary spirit. I never had the privilege, but I admired his determination and his love for life. No words can make up for the Stelter family, but I hope they take comfort in the love and support of their extended hockey family. 

I asked my wife, author P.D. Workman, whether she had a poem that she could share with the family on this sad occasion. She gave me permission to post this one.

My Child

Buckets of tears
are not enough

All the sighs and
frowns in the world

No look or touch
or platitude

Will comfort
my broken heart

I remember his first breath
his first smile, his first step

I knew him inside my belly
when he first came to me

I wanted to live forever
beyond was an unsure fate

I didn't know then of
the despair of a mother

Who's outlived her only child

(c) P.D. Workman, used with permission

No comments:

Post a Comment