Thursday, August 25, 2022

Leafs: Goaltending


I was looking for ideas on what to write this week when a friend contacted me and asked about the goaltending this season on the Maple Leafs. I have often defended Soup about his last season in the net. Although I don't think he is an elite goalie, I don't blame him for last season.

Did the Maple Leafs improve on the goaltending this year? Acquiring Murray is a considerable gamble. He has not been the same since his Pens years. I am not sold on Murray being able to return to form. I worry about him letting in weak goals. That said, the Leafs will be fine if he can be average to a little above average. 

The wild card here is the backup or 1b goalie. Samsonov is young and has a ton of potential. If Murray can mentor him—colour me intrigued. I'm interested in seeing the results. 

Overall, I think the Leafs will be a little worse than last year. But I also feel they can be better defensively than last year, which will make up for it. 

I asked around if the Maple Leafs would have been interested in Varly, but was told no because of his age. The Leafs also didn't like his cap hit, and the Isles were not offering any cap relief. Got said these were the two best options they could see; whether or not it's the right selection time will tell.

Randy


No comments:

Post a Comment