Thursday, August 11, 2022

Börje Salming The Legend

When  I think of Salming, I think "true blue." If there has ever been a perfect Maple Leaf, I think Salming is it. What I most remember of Salming is his courage. He was not willing to back down from any challenges. He had a heart of a champion and was a true leader in the dressing room. 

April 15, 1976, Salming was mixing it up after a hit. Borje did not go out and ask for trouble, but if it came knocking, he wasn't shy about letting it in. It always shocked me the beating he would take and would get right back up again. He was like the Timex watch that takes a licking but keeps on ticking. 


Borje Salming was a no-nonsense, do what it takes to win player, especially in his own end. Yes, Borje had some offensive talent. He had his share of powerplay time in years of prime. Salming had four straight 70-point seasons: 1976-1977 season through to the 1979-80 season. The 79-80 season was his most goals. 19 was almost like 45 goals forward. He got the most points, 78, in the  76-77 season; he also had his most assists that same year, (66.) So you can see he was a gifted offensive defenceman. 

Don't get me wrong; I have memories of Salming mixing it up with Dave the Hammer Shoults.


But I prefer to remember him like this:


Borje loves his fans. The fans loved him. He will always be remembered as a hero. His heart will be with the Maple Leafs and will be honoured always. 

Borje Salming night.


Randy 


No comments:

Post a Comment