Friday, September 18, 2020

New York Islanders: This is Not a Eulogy

 


First of all, let me say this is not a eulogy. There is no death of this team, only growth. As a New York Islander fan, there is so much to be proud of. So many players hung it out there for the fans. Sure, I could concentrate on the loss. If only Nelson had scored on that breakaway. Sometimes, you have to give credit to the opposition goalie. Andrei Vasilevskiy made a tremendous save. I would rather concentrate on my inaugural year-end awards. So here we go.


The Coming of Age Award

Anthony Beauvillier


Anthony became a man in this playoff run. I saw glimpses of what Anthony will become. Beauvillier was, at times, the best of the New York Islanders, showing his speed, his shot, and his skills around the net. What excited me the most were the signs of him becoming a sniper. 


The Warrior Award

Adam Pelech


This one was a no-brainer. Seriously, he is the clearcut winner. Adam showed the Islanders' heart when he played in game five with a broken wrist. He is probably the best stay-home defenseman on the team. In the last two minutes left in a game, there is no one I would want more on the ice than Adam. His contract is a steal. What heart this player has. 


MVP

Seymon Varlamov


Semyon made a statement about these playoffs. I have something to say before heir apparent Iylia Sorokin takes the throne. I am goalie hear me roar! Semyon was outstanding. He did everything he could to take this series into game six. There is no one I felt put more into it than Seymon. He was the last man standing—what a statement he made before going into next season.  


Last word


Yes, the loss sucks. But the Islanders have a lot of exciting times coming down the pipe. The new arena. The best coach in the NHL. Matthew Barzal, one of the most exciting players. Ilya Sorokin, one of the best prospects in the NHL. And last but not least, GM of the year, Lou Lamoriello. I admit I questioned some of the moves he made, but I can't question the success he has had this season. Every year the so-called experts tell us why this team has no chance. Every year, they get one step closer to the big prize. (The big prize is the Stanley Cup, in case you fell on your head.) Hold your heads up, Islander fans; it is only going to get better from here. 


Randy



No comments:

Post a Comment