Thursday, September 3, 2020

Maple Leafs: Defining a Captain



A captain is a cog in your team engine and needs to fit correctly. He is the sugar in your coffee, the cream in the ice cream. I could go on, but I think you get my point.  


By definition, a captain is a leader—the first out on the ice and last to leave. He has to hold the room together. If there is a problem in the dressing room, he has to fix it. The captain is the man the team turns to in a crisis. 


So does John Tavaras fit that definition? I saw the Jackets vs Maple Leafs games, where at times he was the only one skating. He is a quiet leader. His actions speak louder than his words. He might not be there with the pom poms, but he is in the corners getting the puck.  


It does not matter how the captain is a leader, as long he leads in the right direction. As I run through the stats, I hear some arguments telling me Matthews should be the captain. But the best players don't always make the best captains. John is also the hardest worker on the team. He does not quit on a puck. He makes everyone around him better.  


Last word


Is Andersen on the Market? I cannot count the number of times this season I was chanting, "Freddy, Freddy!" So why are we putting him on the market? Basic economic reasons. His contract comes up next season. He is making $5 million this season and will want a raise his next contract. The Leafs can't afford the cap. That being said, we'd better get a goalie and hopefully a defenceman back. Good luck shopping, Maple Leafs.


Randy

No comments:

Post a Comment