Saturday, August 29, 2020

The top four New York Islanders players of the 1980s

 


I am the first to admit that I didn't grow up an Islander fan. Frankly, the only time I really pulled for them is when they played the Oilers in the finals. But, that does not mean I did not respect them for what they are and what they had become. What they became is the heart of a champion. I know that is a little corny. But the reality is they were champions.


My top Islanders' favourite list was hard to put together. There were so many good players in the 1980s. So my list consists of my favourite underdog Islanders. The list is going to surprise you. You probably have a list of your own. Let me know who is on it! 


John Tonelli

I loved John every time he was on the ice. I knew and expected things to happen. He was a firecracker. He was the one who set the pace. I might have some selfish reasoning for picking John. On March 11, 1986, Tonelli was traded to Calgary for Richard Kromm and Steve Konroyd. In Calgary, he became a huge Flames fan favourite. 


Bob Nystrom

Mr. Hustle was always known for his hard work. He would not step down from anyone; he had a heart like a lion. An interesting statistic that I did not know about Bob is he scored 30 goals in the 1977-78 season. I never knew him as a sniper, but one thing I did remember him on May 24, 1980.





Duane Sutter


Look at his last name. Do I really need to explain to you why? Duane is a man's man. The man squatted in the corners; one would have thought he lived there. A fantastic role player who fought for his teammates. He was known for his role as a leader; being from a Sutter family born in Viking, Alberta, he had to be. You never doubted his heart and who he represented. 


Ken Morrow


Ken Morrow was known for being one of the best stay-home defencemen. 

Ken would do anything to win. He blocked every shot he could. It did not matter who was shooting; Ken would give up his body to stop a goal. The greatest achievement of Morrow was, of course, the gold medal Team USA in 1980.


There are a lot more names come to mind when it comes to underdogs playing for the Islanders. That is what made the 1980s New York Islanders so special. Everyone did what they were told—there was no questioning Mr. Al Arbour, the greatest coach in Islanders' history. What made Al Arbour so good was the cast who believed him. 





Randy






1 comment: