Monday, July 27, 2020

Eddie Shack Remembered

I was deeply saddened at the passing of Eddy "the Entertainer" Shack. Eddie was a fan favourite, always playing it up for the fans. And he loved the fans as much as they loved him. He will forever be known for his big boyish grin whenever he played. He loved the game of hockey, and the game of hockey adored him. 

When Eddie played, he was a spark plug. Anytime a coach needed a spark, off to the ice went Eddie. Shack was the blank disturber (family blog site) that every coach wanted and every coach hated. If there was another word that described the Entertainer, it was loyalty. Everyone knew where Shack stood. If you were a teammate, you were family. He went to war for his teammates and he would do anything to win. Eddie never took the glory for himself. He was always willing to share the glory with his teammates. 

Eddie played from 1960-67 in his first stint with the Leafs. Shack has four Stanley Cup rings to his credit. Eddie had some talent that I did not realize he had—I never knew Eddie was a 20 goal scorer. He beat the 20 goal total four times; once with the Leafs in 1965-66. I always thought he was a rough nasty forward, which he was, but apparently, he had some hands. His most goals in one season was in 70-71 when he got 27 goals.  

I could never do Eddie justice. I feel very inadequate trying to do so. I loved and respected the man for everything he stood for. He brought a smile to my face and made me forget the world for a little while every Saturday night. It was like he was representing the guy's guy and what he can do. 

I remember fans in the stand chatting "Eddie Eddie" because they wanted to see him play. I would be listening to the cheers when he came on the ice. I hear myself chanting "Eddie Eddie" now; only in a much quieter, more reverent voice. 

I will miss you, Eddie. You will always have a place, my heart.  

He is not leaving; he is just going home. 




Some of the Eddie Shack memories the ones I knew and loved.



Eddie Shack.

Randy 



1 comment:

  1. This is my favorite article you have posted. This brought back some of the reasons hockey became fun.
    Loved it. Great work Randy!

    ReplyDelete