Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Why I think hockey should be cancelled

I know this choice won't be popular with a lot of you.  At first, I was like the rest of you: play hockey! But I listened to some of the reasoning. Right now, for me, it is all about the safety of the players. There is a sense that there is another outbreak of the virus coming. The chances of players catching the virus goes up.

I know the chances are still pretty good that the players will be fine. To me, there has to be a time when we say health comes first. I get that the players want to play, and I understand that the owners are trying to recoup their losses. But isn't there a time where common sense needs to come into play? The players have not played in months, making them vulnerable to injuries. What happens if the Flames lose Gaudreau, putting next season at risk? It is common knowledge that the Flames would love to grab Hall next season. Can they afford Hall with Gaudreau still in the line-up?

Then there is the issue of the starting date of next season. Gary Bettman said the owners do not want to lose any games next season. They want eighty-two games for next year's season. Put that into perspective—another season going into July. Does the NHL want to compete with baseball pennant races? 

With all that has been going on of late, I feel you cannot rush back into playing just to determine a champion. We have to consider the ramifications of playing the season. You can't tell me that some yahoo is not going to try to see the players.  Mark my words, there will be fans trying to worm their way into seeing the players.

Randy

P.S  I know it is moot. They are playing. But I had to put it out there. I think it is the wrong choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment